Nurturing the gift of childhood


 The very mention of the word "wonder" connotes  children . That's the age they are absorbing everything around them with a sense of joy and wonder. This is such a special gift of childhood. As we grow older, we somehow loose that sense of wonder. We cease to observe and appreciate beauty around us. If only we could retain that sense of wonder, we would never grow old! 

As an educator I feel blessed to be with children and that quality has rubbed onto me unconsciously. There are days at school, when a child would run to me to show a spider preying on an insect, or an ant carrying a grain of rice. On certain rainy days, students steal moments to run out and gaze at the sky. One day, I was busy in conversation with a teacher when a girl dashed into my room yelling " mam, rainbow". Her enthusiasm carried me outdoors and it was simply a moment to behold.... A beautiful arch on the skyscape with all colours prominent. I still hold that memory in my inward eye.
Today, I had  one such " wow" moments in  my life. Our friend( who had gifted an eight month old calf;  our children had named her Lakshmi)  had sent a photograph( in pic)  of Lakshmi as a new born calf. The moment I saw this pic I asked him, " Lakshmi is  white. But this calf looks brown. This is not Lakshmi". Only later I learnt that some  calves TURN white as they grow, some of them stay brown.  Wow ! This was a new learning for me! Though I was born in an agriculturist family, I never knew this before. Every day,  our life offers such unique moments to relish and cherish. If only we could  pause...pause,  and wonder at life......

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A surgical holiday

ACL SURGERY AT 50 ... MY JOURNEY FROM FALL TO FITNESS ...

Faith energises .. faith heals