A surgical holiday


 For me, writing is healing. I now embark on this journey of penning down a recent incident in my life that is a life lesson for me in many ways. My intention to publish it in my blog is that it could help someone in need.


My fiftieth birthday brought me many pleasant unforgettable surprises from my family,friends and colleagues. Can't be more grateful. On March 11, 2022, an unpleasant surprise came with a slip and fall. With a "pop" in my knee I fell down. An MRI revealed that ACL ( anterior cruciate ligament) of my  left knee was completely torn ( along with meniscus tear etc). Instinctively I reached for my mobile to ask Google guru. Understood anatomy of the knee, surgical process etc. One concern I had was, most patients are young  sports persons. At my age how successful would my rehabilitation be? I could not sleep that night. I called my husband the next morning . He was in Chennai then. He immediately contacted his friend Dr.Arumugam,  senior consultant in arthroscopy and sports medicine at Sri Ramachandra medical centre, Chennai. Very casually he said " come, let's get your knee ready for treks and yoga" . To hear these words from a very accomplished surgeon meant a lot to me. I felt rejuvenated.
The surgery was fixed for March 18. After all the pre-op procedures,  I was actually anticipating the surgery and looking forward to getting back to normalcy. I knew I was in safe hands. I consoled myself thinking " thank God it's my knee and not my hips " and stayed very positive. Ironically March 18 is world sleep day and the general anesthesia put me on a long tranquil sleep.  Usually my first warning sign of work overload would be disturbed sleep. ( I would not call it stress... cos I love my profession  ). The message for my racing mind was to SLEEP...GENTLY SLEEP...

After the surgery, as the effect of pain killers was wearing out, my leg started to feel heavier and heavier. The first two days at the hospital, I felt weak and vulnerable. When doctor asked " how do you feel" I said, with all the pain " not okay". He once again had the right words to console me. "You know, from women patients ,usually we get 7 to 7.5 mm of hamstring graft. But for you, it was 10 mm, like that for some soccer players. " I regained hope and his words keep  ringing in my ears even today. 
Words have power. As an educationist I have experienced it many times. As a patient I have received it today from my surgeon.
Sleep eluded and at midnight I had this conversation with my legs on the second day after surgery.
My dear twins.........
Thanks for helping me realise your value. Casually you  bear the burden of my upper body.  You have carried this physical body untiringly without complaining. I would hurriedly dab some coconut oil after a quick shower and never cared to nurture you enough. Now when I sit in bed, I realize how many of your movements I have taken for granted.
I KNOW I would miss my yoga
I KNOW I would miss my long walks
I KNOW I would miss my race with my cat isha ( I would skip a couple of steps as I run up the staircase to beat her!)
I KNOW I would miss my campus walks and talks with my teachers at both our schools.
I KNOW I would miss the priceless smiles of children as I glide through the corridors..

Brisk walking is like breathing for me. Any holiday is not complete without long walks. I  know it would be many months before I resume all the activities I love. Even learning to walk is going to be painful. I was  in pain. Every new movement brought pain. I did not cry. But when my son told me that our cat isha had her surgery ( neutering procedure) I asked for a video call with her. When she heard my voice she frantically looked around and got up to walk with her tiny bandaged body. I cried... and cried ..... And felt healed.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining. The nursing care at the hospital was extraordinary and I relaxed myself with audio books. I  wanted to believe that I was fine; just that my knee needs a surgical procedure. Ramana Maharishi's " who am I?"gives me spiritual strength through tough times.

After discharge from hospital we went to spend a week at my cousins place so that I could finish my doctor's review and head back home. Inspite of the pain and discomfort,  their love and care overwhelmed me and I felt I was on a wellness holiday. Rehabilitation exercises are very crucial to regain  full range of movements. It is important to strengthen our hamstrings, quads and calf muscles.  Especially after an age it matters even more. Another life lesson for me ! My fabulous physiotherapist Ms.Janaki pushed me to my limits and refused to give up. She would be my friendly foe as I move into my next phase of recovery.

Our legs hold us grounded to mother earth when our spirits are soaring high. Slow and steady is sometimes better than fast and fantastic !
The Chariot has no value when the wheels are broken. My legs are now telling me " Oh charioteer,please take care of me". Let me stay in surrender to the divine and listen to my doctors and physiotherapists.
Sometimes life compels us to press the pause button. May be to retrospect, may be to delegate, may be to prioritize.  I am listening to you dear zindagi !
Life is like a Rollercoaster. Let me learn to enjoy the ride. 

Note: I am right now in the car, on my way back home. Thanks to my uncle's luxurious benz van, I can comfortably stretch my braced legs and complete this writing , putting together  my journal entries over the past ten days.
As I complete, we are crossing vaniyambadi and I can see gentle showers as our driver switches the car wipers on. Nature heals. 

Comments

  1. We hope you start feeling better soon so that you can come back to school mam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I had goosebumps while reading . Each and every word of the positive soul transformes the same to the reader. From hair to toe each and every organ plays a vital role. Your regular physical and mental exercises saved you mam. Always our prayers for you mam. Your knee is getting ready for treks and yoga😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma. Thats the hope I wakeup with

      Delete
    2. Happy to hear that your are returning home safely. Your positive vibs heals u quickly. The way you handled the situation and ur boldness are the strong message for us .

      Delete
  3. How awesomely you have faced your hard times.
    I am astonished "how well you are connected with nature". I think god has given you this break to get connected with nature even more to nurture yourself.

    One such great women I ever met.
    Do your re-habitation exercises without fail. As you said, Slow and steady is better than fast and fantastic!!

    Get well soon ng Akka:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touched by your message dear.. no pain no gain. This fall is an indication for learnings to treasure ..

      Delete
  4. "Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it". Likewise you have faced this situation with positive thinking mam.....We have learnt how to be strong and optimistic even in tough situation from you mam.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said. It's important to respond and not react.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear mam, Your writing is so gentle that it has eased out the pain one would suffer facing similar injuries. Only someone who has absolute connection with nature and its way of leading us in the right path can see the pleasure every pain. This narrative has carried me through the inevitable process of healing excruciating pain be it physical injury or emotional breakdown. I understand that we shouldn't resist what is in store for us but he grateful for having the help needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes selvarani... Life is nothing but a series of lessons. If we refuse to learn, it would come harder in another form !

      Delete
  7. I hope each new day brings you closer to a full and speedy recovery!

    With all our prayers and your positive thoughts will bring you back soon mam...

    ReplyDelete
  8. தங்களின் எழுத்து நடை எனக்கு எழுத்தாளர் சுஜாதாவை நினைவுறுத்தியது. அவர்தான் வாழ்வின் வலிகளையும், வழிகளையும், மொழி வழியே கட த்தியவர்.

    வார்த்தைகளின் வலிமையை அழகாக உணர்த்தியுள்ளீர்கள். (நம் வாழ்வு [ஆசிரியப் பணி] அதை நம்பி தானே ஓடுகிறது.!).

    இயற்கை எவ்வளவு சிறந்த ஓர் என்ஜினியர்!!
    உலகின் ஒவ்வொரு அங்குலத்தையும் செதுக்கி உள்ளது.
    உறுப்புகளின் சிறப்புகளை உணராதோரை ஆச்சரியமாக பார்த்ததுண்டு. சிறு பல் வலிக்குக் கூட பிடுங்கி எறியும் மனிதர்கள். வெட்டப்பட்ட நகம் கூட சில நாள்களுக்கு, சில வேளைகளில் அதன் “இல்லாமை” யை உணர்த்திவிடுகிறது.

    இயற்கைக்கு கூட
    இருப்பை உணர்த்த, கவனம் பெற “வேலை நிறுத்தம்” அவ்வப்போது தேவையாகிறது போல!!!

    Mam... u ll regain all the power u pointed as “I Know”. We ll see u as “Our Vidhya mam” very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fr your powerful words in soulful tamil... feel honoured to be compared with the great writer sujatha

      Delete
  9. Get well soon VV. Once you are better, come over here for the best long walk ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.... in USA u have lovely spaces fr long walks.. good goal to set!

      Delete

  10. Happy that you are back Mam…. And the writing …. I have no words to express… where I lack words you had so fluidly n candidly expressed what was going on inside you , your pain and your realisation….
    Your thoughts abt your pain , hurt and realisation puts a pause to our own busy lives, be grateful to God for our good health and realise it’s significance ….thank you for sharing your story and inspiring us….but we do want to see you walking in the campus actively…. get well soon Mam and take care…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks roopa ...I keep visualizing myself walking in the campus !

      Delete
  11. What an exuberant way of reminiscing Your PAIN in a PAINLESS manner. 50 is just a start..... Its time to hitch your wagon to stars. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be strong VV as you always are.. This is a rebirth type of scenario and you have to take baby steps and lead again.. Something similar that I am going through mentally, you are going through physically.. May God give you all the strength and blessings to move forward.. All our prayers are with you and all healings would come right in time and you would be able to appreciate that OUR SAVIOR plan is always the best and would protect and make your life better by all means possible..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boopalan.
      .life has a unique way of giving lessons that every individual needs !

      Delete
  13. We all are pray for you to recover soon and we are eagerly waiting you to meet in school

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get completely normal soon Vidhya..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ACL SURGERY AT 50 ... MY JOURNEY FROM FALL TO FITNESS ...

Lessons from my grandfather