Children's day surprise !

 On children's day I decided to surprise our children by playing the veena . As a 7 year old my mother got me started and till the age of 14 a teacher would come home and I  learnt to play veena . I still remember the expression on my face ( and my sister's) when we saw the veena teacher's footwear when we got bck home . Her presence meant that we had to  forgo our free play in the evenings . For two hours every evening, the neighborhood children would come home and we played like mad before retiring to do our homework. So, obviously we resisted the Veena classes .  My mother was strict . Just to please my mother I learnt veena in childhood.

And then , went to boarding school, college , marriage ... for 25 years did not touch the divine instrument . But when I started to learn again , to my surprise, the muscle memory worked magic ... even today, I played after almost 10 months , but memory comes back. This is not about me. It's about the muscle memory.  I really wish all parents insist that children learn atleast one instrument during their childhood.  Sometimes as parents , we do not insist as much .My younger son was so natural with the guitar, yet, when he refused to go for classes after a few months , I let go. But, my

mother did not ! Some lessons in parenting we need to take from the previous generation.  May be??? Just contemplating! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A surgical holiday

ACL SURGERY AT 50 ... MY JOURNEY FROM FALL TO FITNESS ...

Lessons from my grandfather