choosing a career?

This  the time of the year where discussions about colleges and courses dominate conversations in most households . Majority of students seem drawn to AI-related courses.
Reflecting on my own journey from 32 years ago,  I scored well in my 12th grade, and  I took computer science because it was the " in thing " at that time. I was part of the second batch of computer science engineering at PSG College of Technology. Yes, I followed the crowd and took the course. However, during my third year, an internship with Wipro made me realize that spending the rest of my life in front of computers wasn't my calling. I always enjoyed spending time with people. Thankfully, marriage redirected my path. Now, 32 years later, I wake up every morning looking forward to my work because my profession is my passion. 
The core message from my experience is simple. When you find yourself, your strengths, and what you are naturally good at, you never get  tired of what you are doing. This insight makes me question the current mad rush for AI.

If asked about emerging fields, I would suggest areas far removed from the typical answers. Farming, for example, is crucial regardless of technological advances. Everyone, whether an AI engineer or a doctor, needs food. Cultivating a love for farming, soil, and microorganisms in children from a young age is the need of the hpur. There's immense potential for innovation in farming, which can significantly impact individual lives and the world. When we expose children to varied experiences, they will be able to find their passion intuitively.
No matter how advanced robots may be, the healthcare industry will always need compassionate humans. The future demands blue-collar jobs aswell. We need to  prepare our children to discover their strengths and pursue their passions. Good
Polytechnic colleges provide more practical skills than mediocre engineering colleges. Encouraging teenagers to shadow their parents' professions might also help them find a natural interest and carryon  family legacy. Recently, I met a kitchen equipment manufacturer who proudly shared that he is the third generation  business owner, building on his grandfather's foundation.
Families should consider two key factors: what their children are good at and what the world needs. However, the priority should be to help children discover their innate talents before they enter college. From my experience, finding oneself can make all the difference. I was fortunate to discover my passion when I entered the world of children, and now, I see that I have found my ikigai, the Japanese concept of a meaningful life.

Dear Parents, My message is simple. HELP YOUR CHILDREN FIND THEIR IKIGAI.
It’s time to reflect and guide them toward discovering their true strengths and passions. Let’s move beyond societal pressures and support our children in finding the paths that will bring them true fulfilment and happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A surgical holiday

Faith energises .. faith heals

The Mother relocates ...